Thursday, July 10, 2008

Lupicja's Cevapi

I went to Bosnia-Herzegovina in June. Amanda Haskew and I went to a retreat there. We stayed with a friend of mine. She and her husband wanted us to try something that area of the world was known for. They took us to a little place and we tried Cevapi for the first time. I loved it, and while we were in Sarajevo, we were told they had the best around we never did taste it there.

We had a wild ride home to Vienna with Croatian Fans headed to Vienna for the EU Fussball Cup Championships. It was an experience I could never explain in words.... just trust me. I sought shelter with a nice older lady. We got to talking abotu things I enjoyed from my travels and she said well I can teach you how to make some of those things. Here is the 1st recipe. I love it, my family loves it and the friends who have tried it enjoyed it as well!

Cevapi

1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
1 small onion
1 garlic clove
a pinch of sugar
salt and pepper to taste (start with 1/2 tsp each)
splash of Olive Oil
3 pinches of chili pepper (optional)

Mix well and refrigerate overnight.

When ready to prepare you need to roll the meat into little sausages the width of 2 fingers. Then cook them in a hot pan with very little olive oil.

Serve with a pita or flatbread put 3 cevapi inside, and serve with sliced onion and Ajvar on the side. This is a eggplant/red pepper spread you can buy.

Enjoy!

No comments: